Our Next EMDR Training Sessions
March 5 (6:00-9:00pm) and 6, 7, & 8 (8:30am-5:00pm)
April 16 (6:00-9:00pm, consultation #2) and 17, 18 & 19 (8:30am-5:00pm)
May 28 & 29 (8:30am-5:00pm; consultation #4 on May 28 8:30-10:30am)
EMDR Training Course Summary
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) is an evidence-based, powerful, and integrative therapy for treating symptoms stemming from stress and traumatic experiences. EMDR is also used to treat symptoms stemming from negative and stressful life events that manifest as anxiety, depressed mood, phobias, relationship and attachment issues, low self- esteem, eating disorders, extended grief, and other symptoms.
EMDR therapy allows clients to process events that have become “stuck in time” and lead to symptoms in the “here and now” (i.e., the present). Symptoms that clients have now are often the result of past experiences that have not been adequately processed and integrated in the brain. During this training you will learn to safely and effectively “unstick” distressing memories to allow adaptive information processing to resume so that clients no longer relive the images, sensory and somatic experiences, emotions, and negative self-beliefs associated with the memory so that clients are better able to function and cope in the present.
EMDR Trainer: Kelly Penner Hutton, Ph.D, C.Psych.
Kelly is a dynamic speaker who is enthusiastic about what she teaches. She is skilled in EMDR and working with PTSD, complex trauma, and dissociation with all ages. Although Kelly works a lot with adults, she also specializes in child and adolescent therapy and assessments. She brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to her training programs.
EMDR Training Details
The Winnipeg EMDR Centre offers EMDR Training in three parts with 68.25 hours of training (60 hours is typical for most other training programs). EMDR Training can be overwhelming in two parts, which is why we have separated it into three parts. This allows for more learning to take place over an extended period of time. In addition, training is based on the most recent edition of Francine Shapiro’s book, Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) Therapy, Third Edition: Basic Principles, Protocols, and Procedures.
will provide you with a solid foundation in EMDR therapy through instruction and
practicum experiences for work with children/adolescents and adults. Theory, research, and practical skills will be covered in Part 1.
• 1 evening and 3 days of instruction (25hours)
• Includes 10.75 hours of practicum
builds on the foundation, providing advanced instruction on treating complex pathology (e.g., complex trauma and dissociation) using the EMDR 8 phase framework as well as protocols for working with single traumatic events, recent traumatic events, and anxiety.
• 3 days of instruction (21hours)
• Includes 11.25 hours of practicum
• 3 hours of group consultation (1 evening)
is included to allow for sufficient practice and support after parts 1 and 2, and prior to learning advanced applications of EMDR for special populations (e.g., phobias, complicated grief, illness and pain conditions, and addictions).
• 2 days of instruction (12.25hours)
• Includes 5 hours of practicum
• 2 hours of group consultation
Group consultation will be provided by an EMDRIA Approved Consultant or Consultant-in- Training and is included in EMDR training. There is a total of 10 consultation hours provided, with 5 hours in person at trainings, and 5 hours scheduled in between trainings.
• 5 hours will be scheduled in between Part 1 and 2, and in between Part 2 and 3 to assist with your transition to using this effective therapy and incorporating it in your current practice. This will occur either by tele- or e-conference or in person and scheduled at trainings
• 2.5 hours after Part 1
• 2.5 after Part 2
• 5 hours of group consultation has been added to Part 2 and 3 trainings
• Consultation is for the purpose of growth as an EMDR therapist. These hours are required to obtain a certificate for EMDR Training. You will present a case in consultation and submit a written copy